Peter Thiel, founder of PayPal, has one question he asks all entrepreneurs as a way to test the originality of their thinking: “Tell me something that’s true, that almost nobody agrees with you on.”
My answer? Contraception.
The universal belief about contraception is the following:
- Some family planning methods, such as condoms, help prevent the transmission of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases;
- Contraception reduces the need for abortion, especially unsafe abortion;
- Contraception reinforces peoples’ rights to determine the number and spacing of their children, and
- By preventing unintended pregnancy, family planning /contraception prevents deaths of mothers and children.
When contraception was first introduced, proponents believed that it would eliminate the fear of pregnancy and, therefore, cause people to engage in sexual activity in a more responsible way. But if you look at any of the cultural markers in society, contraception has ushered in a decline in our culture and increased the number of abortions. The exact opposite of what contraception supporters believed.
Look at the following:
“In Sweden, between 1995 and 2001, teen abortion rates grew 32% during a period of low-cost condoms, oral contraceptives and over-the-counter emergency contraception. Similarly, National Review recently reported that “out of 23 studies on the effects of increased access to ECs, not one study could show a reduction in unintended pregnancies or abortions.”
Upon its introduction, contraception was heralded as a great step forward for females. There was however one man, Pope Paul VI, who saw the inevitable end game. He wrote a paper called Humane Vitae, where he laid out the dangers of contraception. Sadly, his predictions have all come true. Here were his four major predictions:
- Infidelity and Moral Decline. The Pope believed that contraception would lead to infidelity and the general lowering of morality. The U.S has experienced cultural rot since the advent of contraception with an increase in the number of divorces, out of wedlock pregnancies as well as the rise of S.T.D’s. The availability of contraception has encouraged sexual activity and accelerated the spread of diseases associated with it.
- Lost Respect For Women. Pope Paul VI claimed that with the advent of contraception men would lose respect for women, no longer caring for their physical and psychological well being. He predicted men would come to consider females as mere instruments of selfish pleasure and no longer think of them as respected and beloved companions. One only need look at the rise of pornography and human trafficking where women’s bodies are treated as mechanical instruments strictly for pleasure.
- Abuse of Power. The Pope thought contraception would become a dangerous weapon in the hands of public authorities. Look at the history of family planning programs instituted by the U.N in the Third World where many people have been sterilized without their knowledge or consent. Look at China’s “one child” that has forced abortions and the deliberate killing of female babies, leaving China with more males than females. Under this cultural preference and corresponding inheritance laws, it is not uncommon for couples to abort their 1st child if they know it will be female… preferring to roll the dice for a boy on the next pregnancy.
- Unlimited Dominion. Pope Paul’s other warning was that contraception would lead mankind to believe that he had unlimited dominion over his body. Men and women now sterilize themselves as a from of contraception, extending our dominion to our sexual reproduction. We have become a culture so convinced of our right to control our own bodies, we now have large parts of the population altering their gender. Test Tube babies is another indication of our unwillingness to accept the body’s limitations. We now live in a day where we adjust our desires, bodies and timetables rather than the other way around. One of the downside of test tube babies is that the woman is injected with multiples fetuses knowing that some will die. However, it is not uncommon for a woman under such circumstances to become pregnant with twins and even triplets. Many times, those viable fetuses arer killed inside the womb because the mother “only wanted one baby.”
The tragic and inevitable end result of heralding contraception as a saving grace is the recent scandal involving Planned Parenthood. The organizations almost inconceivable cruelty and barbarism in killing viable infants in utero for the profitable selling of their organs, tissues and body parts is a blight upon us all. But we can thank contraception and increased sexual activity for bringing us to where we capitalize on this human tragedy.
Our society no longer has the capacity to distinguish right from wrong and our institutions have become completely perverted. Instead of women going to deliver babies at hospitals they now go to Planned Parenthood facilities to kill them. Instead of babies being delivered into the world they are vacuumed out of women’s stomachs (sometimes only after crushing their skulls in order not to damage marketable organs body parts). The biggest advocates for Planned Parenthood claim it advances women’s health without acknowledging that half of the 55 million babies that have been aborted since the advent of Roe v. Wade have been female. How is killing over 25 million baby girls advancing women’s health?
Our culture, especially as it relates to contraception, abortion and women’s health has become a carnival-like mirror reflecting a completely distorted vision of reality. This was Pope Paul VI’s warning laid out over 40 years ago. There are Prophets in or time. It is not their fault if we turn away from what we do not want know. Its not their fault but it is our responsibility and will be our consequence.
How many readers of this post have watched one of the four Planned Parenthood videos?